Saturday, October 9, 2010

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one…”

Living a few blocks from the inter-coastal, I tend to go for brisk walks to the water often.  Every time I venture on these mini-excursions, I take the time to consciously connect with my breath and the serene nature that surrounds me. On one such occasion this week, I was greeted by a neighbor’s amiable tabby cat.  She affectionately pushed her faced into my hands and pranced around me, her tail and body gracefully warping around my limbs. Every time I attempted to walk on, she darted in front of me and blocked my path.   

During our brief encounter, my heart was captivated with the pure bliss of living completely in the present moment.  The first thought that emerged in my mind was “if only humans could express such genuine love and kindness to a complete stranger without fear or judgment.” After saying this to myself, I smiled as “Imagine all the people” began orchestrating in my head.  Although the notion may seem as naive and idealistic as a Beatles song, I began to contemplate the concept of unconditional love.  It’s an attractive theory, but is it truly possible, not only at an individual level but for humanity as a whole?

This questioning catapulted me back to the famous Gandhi quote “you must be the change you wish to see in the world.”  It’s amazing how much truth resides in such a simple statement.  The most significant contribution I can generate in my existence is to offer my best and lead by example.   Every day I am blessed with the chance to challenge my character flaws and express my limitless perfection. Every day is an opportunity to think and act in accordance with my divine potential.  Each of us has this option as a possibility within us.  One day at a time, one person at a time, we can transcend the hatred and negativity that plague our society and replace it with love, compassion and understanding. And so it is.     

1 comment:

  1. I hope everyone that reads this is as uplifted as I am, what a beautiful world we can create just by spreading that message.

    I've always loved that quote by Ghandi, and it is so true, if we aren't willing to do something ourselves, how can we expect anyone else to do it for us.

    Keep up the great posts!

    ReplyDelete