Sunday, October 24, 2010

“Applying Toltec Wisdom”

      From the Toltec tradition and “The Four Agreements,” I’ve learned to not take anything personally.  This week, I applied this knowledge to a once anger-provoking situation.  I was astounded at the positive outcome that was elicited. 

Late Thursday night, as I was procrastinating packing for my trip to San Diego, I received a hostile text from a phantom of my past. There were several unresolved issues between this person and I that still lingered.  She aggressively informed me that she felt disrespected by something I had recently done.  Instead of replying with an antagonistic and condescending response, which was my initial reaction, I made the decision to answer instead with compassion.  Adhering to another agreement, “being impeccable with your word,” I chose my response carefully.  First I made the discernment that whatever her resentment was about, in reality it had nothing to do with me; hence there was no reason to take it personally.  As with everyone, her frustration was a reflection of her own internal filter system which was being projected onto me. I then recognized that her bitterness, trepidation and pain were a cry to be nurtured.  I apologized for acting in a way that upset her and assured her my intent was innocent.    

As the conversation progressed, her animosity dissipated and we actually began to bond.  The interaction created healing for both of us.  We were presented with this opportunity to begin the process of resolving the negative feelings that had been generated through the years. Though I am aware that it will take time and effort for the trust between us to be established, I knew that this was a constructive foundation.  Overall, I felt invigorated and as though an immense weight had been lifted from me.  

The progression of transformation I’ve experienced since I began my journey is remarkable.  When I alter my thinking to align with love instead of fear, I change how I feel and get different results. It’s a simple formula to live by and with each occasion I have to practice these principals the more ingrained they become. And so it is.            

No comments:

Post a Comment