Sunday, October 31, 2010

“From Biology to Buddhism: The Science of Spirituality”

I’m beginning to assimilate a deeper understanding of how connected we all are, not only to one another, but also to the collective energy source. This week has been a reminder of this ubiquitous unity. We are all teachers as well as students.  Each day I am presented with lessons of the universal laws of life.  I can choose to flow with these natural decrees or I can struggle against the current. I believe everything in life has a purpose and reason.  If I decide to be in alignment with this force, I will always be propelled towards the realm infinite possibilities. 

 “The Joy of Living, Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness,” explores such phenomena from a spiritual and scientific level.  Written by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, an immensely wise Buddhist monk, the book integrates the study of the biology of the mind with experience of shifting consciousness. Through my own meditation and yogic practices, I can subtly comprehend this transformation.  


According to Rinopche, “when neurons connect they form a bond very much like old friendships.” These neurons habitually send the same messages between them just like “old friends reinforce each other’s judgments of people, events and experiences.” This association process is what forms mental triggers and patterns. Neuroscience reveals that recurring experiences alter the functioning of the brain.  By consciously changing your perception, which is the primary function of the Buddist philosophy, it is possible to eradicate the barriers you’ve created to reaching your limitless potential. 

It amazes me how truly complex and intricate our mind really is. The psyche is in a perpetual process of transition and the spirit is the guiding power behind it.   As I continue to embark on this journey in exploring the inner-workings of my own cognitive processes, the more fascinated I become. And So it is.
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment